5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.7
Go to "Math Word Problems for Children": http://www.mathstories.com/
Click on "Huckleberry Finn" to solve this word problem.
1. If Huck wants to take a ride on the ferry boat to St. Louis.
2. If the ferry charges $3.71 an hour for a ride.
3. If Huck has enough money to ride the ferry for four days.
4. How many hours will Huck spend on his four day ride?
5. How much money does Huck have to ride the ferry boat?
5.8, 5.9, 5.10, 5.11, 5.12
Go to "Basket Math Interactive" http://www.scienceacademy.com/BI/index.html
Click on "Distance" to calculate the travel time.
1. I travel at 13 miles per hour.
2. It can travel 117 miles in less than a day.
3. If you divide 117 miles by 13 miles per hour, you can find out how long it takes me.
4. Who am I, and how long does it take me to travel 117 miles.
5.13, 5.14, 5.15
Go to "Geometry Online" at http://math.rice.edu/~lanius/Geom/index.html
Click on "School Bus Geometry" to get the school bus to McDonald's.
1. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.
2. Ana can cut across yards to get to McDonald's, but the school bus can not.
3. The bus must follow the streets to get to McDonald's
4. What shape do Ana and the bus make to get to McDonald's?
5. 16, 5.17, 5.18
Go to Mega mathematics http://www.c3.lanl.gov/mega-math/
Click on Games to solve this mystery.
1. I use lines and dots to make math connections.
2. These dots are called math coordinates.
3. I have an "x" (horizontal) and "y" (vertical) axis.
4. I can be used to plot the ocean floor, schedule airplanes, or even invent a secret code.
5. What am I?